Let us get right to it. I have collaborated along side some of my hospitality members (thank you Tina, Jason and Orla). I have worked in hospo (if you don’t know what that word is then I feel sorry for you) for about 3 years. Which for some people is hardly no time at all. Personally I think every human being should have to work in hospo for at least 6 months to understand. As the saying goes; a person who is nice but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person.
I know there are some of you who are out there not sure if you should go into the hospitality sector or you think its easy. I can say no its not easy. We just make it look that way. So here is the list.
- Its a very social job.
- Flexi hours.
- Meet some amazing and interesting people.
- Creates interpersonal skills.
- Networking; leads to other jobs etc.
- Free food. Depending on how amazing your boss is. Mine is amazing.
- The ‘Regulars’.
- Makes your more empathetic towards people in the service industry.
- Keeps you patient.
- You have amazing work stories.
- Can be super sassy.
- You learn many training styles.
- A now mostly smoke free environment.
- You get to sell amazing products.
- You become amazing at time management.
- You appreciate good hospitality.
- You can travel with the skills you learn.
Reason not to?
- You realise how horrible the human race is. If you snap your fingers to summon me then you do not get a smile.
- You do have to work weekends.
- Unsocial hours.
- You work long hours.
- Crap pay to begin with.
- Work with the same people every day in some places.
- You watch people have fun.
- You go home smelling like food.
- There is a lot of sexist nature.
What I can tell you is that its a job that is forever changing and challenging. I would highly recommend going for it. If anything you will learn and understand what happens behind the scenes. If anything you will tip when you do get good service because you know what that is. If you work in hospo then please share/tell me your stories or reasons!! Would love to know!! Enjoy your Saturday night and be nice to your waiter.