So at the start of the year I moved into an apartment with my partner (he’s the one in the photo, if you needed me to point that out) and I won’t lie when I say I was nervous. Honestly I wasn’t sure if it was the right idea. We had been together for 7 months and I had just spent a month living at his house with his mum. (She has an amazing house, perks of having an interior designer as a mum). I was on the hunt for an apartment or room for myself and my other flat mate when a property in the middle of the city popped up. It was perfect, I knew the previous tenants and I had been there before. The place was great minus the price tag. $540 for a two bedroom new york styled apartment. Fully furnished. Just waiting for someone to live in it. You do the math. Two girls cannot afford $270 plus expenses whilst studying. But between three. Well.. thats how Jamie came into play. None the less we have the apartment and have been living here since January. Nick named ‘The Hot Box’ because the loft can reach above 30 degrees. A mere when you are trying to sleep.
So what have I found out whilst living with a boy/man/lad/gentleman for the first time….
- Everything has a place. If you want something it will be in its place. So stop asking.
- There is twice as much washing. So many t-shirts. I now have 3 washing baskets.
- I don’t have to cook every night.
- Supermarket shopping takes three times as long if there is no plan.
- You have to organise your week with someone else.
- Romantic showers don’t really exist.
- Milk never last longs.
- Neither does snacks.
- I own most of the wardrobe.
- We have separate desk and work stations because we have different shit going on.
- There is a nice side to the bed. We rotate on who feels worse.
- Toothpaste is always running out.
- Jamie can now do my back for fake tan.
- He is also my stylist.
- He is my reminder to do work.
- I am a very tidy person. Now Jamie is too. Though he hates our vacuum.
- Its okay if you forget your keys because someone else has a set.
- Alone time is nice.
- I still hate folding washing.
- If one of you is sick. There is no hope for the other person.
- Seeing your family now involves both of you. There is no “how are you?” its “how are you both?”
- Date night still is a thing. Once a week. When you have time.
- Someone can always click my back.
- Buying food happens 3 times a week.
- My chap sticks are always disappearing.
- He likes my soup and I like his pesto pasta.
- You have your top cheerleader with you always.
- Someone will cover you up in a blanket when you fall asleep on the couch.
- Boys hate the doctors. With a passion.
- Having alcohol with your meal makes your a classy couple.
- People think its weird when your not together.
- Taking a nap is not as easy when someone wants to play video games.
I could go on, but maybe I will do a 2.0 version of this list. So the end of the year is coming about and my mother is already asking me what my plans are. Honestly I am just trying to make it to the end of the week. Let alone what my plans are. I know that 1. I will be doing summer school and then graduating. 2. I am mostly certain of doing my honours degree and 3. I will be in Auckland. The other plan is that I will live with Jamie, but the Auckland property market is horrible and so bloody competitive. Want a house. Thats nice. You can fight it out with 40 other people. Like families and very professional couples. Good luck. So the adventure continues. Its been a while since we chatted but I have some good post coming out. But honestly please let me know if there is something you want me to talk about. Im all ears. You have me line, hook and sinker.
Also if you haven’t go and like our page. https://www.facebook.com/hiddenunderthecovers?fref=ts because I post things on there I don’t post anywhere else.
All my love XOXO Gossip Goat. aka Seren. Im getting all weird again. Guys this is why we must talk every week.
So the saga continues.
Lets get in it balls deep. (My jokes are in no way ever going to be funny. We already know this but I will write them out any way cause I am a sassy gal)
Picture theses situations:
- Talking with a boy about sex. He says “so are you on the pill?” you say “no” and then there is this awkward tension because he hasn’t put two dots together and assumes that the pill is the only contraception. I HAVE HAD THIS SITUATION. Also had the awkward explaining that it (an IUD) looks like a fish hook but is inside me. IN NO TONE CAN YOU MAKE THIS SOUND APPEALING. If your man doesn’t know that there is other contraception out there other than the pill and a condom you should just highlight this moment. Possibly move him along.
- If you are about to have sex and your man say “do I have to” in regards to wearing a condom. GET UP. Do not say a word and leave. Close the door and delete his number. Yall think I am joking really Im not. Also on this same point you should not have to ask for him to wear a condom. Because the situation of you staring at him and then his dick whilst he takes his 45 second break to do the one thing he HAS to do. Real romantic. There is no if’s or but’s round this one. Goes for both girls and guys.
- You should be getting an STI check after every sexual partner. BOTH OF YOU. You should have a conversation about when you had one last and it should not be judgemental. It also gives you both peace of mind. If they have never had one, you should highly recommend that they do.
- You should also have a conversation about what is okay and what isn’t in terms of in the bedroom or outside. You don’t know. This can be as straight forward as a checklist. (There is lots online) Or a game of 40 questions. Know your boundaries and others. You might discover that you both like something but are a little too shy to say.
- Your sex life should also be private. No one wants to walk in on their significant other talking about your intimate details to other people you don’t know. “She loves it from behind.” *walks in, opens front door* “you can let yourself out.”
These are some of the situations in which you should take action or act upon. What I am trying to say is teach each other many things, maybe it is how to talk about sex or that their behaviour is unacceptable.
Next week we will continue on talking about this stunning topic of sex. Let me know if there is anything you really want me to address and write about. Short and sweet on your Friday night.
This is my pre-valentines day gift to you ladies. Sorry that was a reminder. Ever so sorry. But love yourself. Sly tip for you.
Any way the title kinda ruined the magic of this blog post but hey, look you’re still here and reading. So go forth, and read my lovelies. If you are a boy and you are still here thats cool too, I will be doing a collaboration with my boyfriend very shortly and have 10 tips for you also. Yeeeeaah, I will have all the hacks. Will I become the ‘Hack-Queen’ I don’t know. But its 2015 so anything can happen.
So I live in what I would say is a fairly fast paced life. If I am truly honest I am rather lazy. Put those two things together and sometimes I look rather rough around the edges. I admit that. I really do envy the girls who look flawless 24/7. You all deserve some sort of crown. Now taking the equation of: needing to look flawless + not having enough time + being lazy = 10 Girl Hacks.
- Have chipped nail polish? Grab a glitter nail polish, gold is ideal and then dap a bit on the end of your nail and feather is out to an ombre finish. Finish with a top coat if you can be bothered.
- Eyelash extensions. These bad boys save you time. The first time my boyfriend called me beautiful I had eyelash extensions on. Word of warning though, do your research.
- Have a go to look for each season. It will save you looking and make your shopping more efficient. And your wardrobe won’t be such a lost place.
- If you treat yourself by getting your nails done but then also made the rookie mistake of not knowing what colour to get and the lady is now filing at a very slow pace to buy you some time. Grab a gold sparkle, nude or grey. Any of these three colour will work with any outfit.
- Carry around at all times; Chapstick, plasters, tampons, condom and Panadol. These are at any time a life saver. Its all about being smart. Never be caught out.
- Do take a multivitamin. Whether it be a woman’s daily one or something you need. I always take a multivitamin high in magnesium. You can thank me later.
- Wear a perfume everyday. You will then discover what it is like to have ‘a scent’. Mine is Summer by FCUK. But I love Coco Mademoiselle Chanel and Daisy by Marc Jacobs.
- Dry shampoo. Honestly saved me at RNV! It’s worthy of your money.
- Give yourself a face mask once a week. I am in love with Mask of Magnaminty by Lush. Will make your skin beautiful.
- Clean the wallet out. Not in terms of money but of all the things you don’t need in that bad boy. I am known for coffee cards, receipts from the bus and random lists. You will feel so much better the next time you use it.
So these are my ten girl hacks. I am sure once you have seen this I would of thought of a few more so I might do a 2.0 version. Try some of these and let me know how they go. From the girl who is just trying to keep up with another flawless beauties out there.