Let us get right to it. I have collaborated along side some of my hospitality members (thank you Tina, Jason and Orla). I have worked in hospo (if you don’t know what that word is then I feel sorry for you) for about 3 years. Which for some people is hardly no time at all. Personally I think every human being should have to work in hospo for at least 6 months to understand. As the saying goes; a person who is nice but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person.
I know there are some of you who are out there not sure if you should go into the hospitality sector or you think its easy. I can say no its not easy. We just make it look that way. So here is the list.
- Its a very social job.
- Flexi hours.
- Meet some amazing and interesting people.
- Creates interpersonal skills.
- Networking; leads to other jobs etc.
- Free food. Depending on how amazing your boss is. Mine is amazing.
- The ‘Regulars’.
- Makes your more empathetic towards people in the service industry.
- Keeps you patient.
- You have amazing work stories.
- Can be super sassy.
- You learn many training styles.
- A now mostly smoke free environment.
- You get to sell amazing products.
- You become amazing at time management.
- You appreciate good hospitality.
- You can travel with the skills you learn.
Reason not to?
- You realise how horrible the human race is. If you snap your fingers to summon me then you do not get a smile.
- You do have to work weekends.
- Unsocial hours.
- You work long hours.
- Crap pay to begin with.
- Work with the same people every day in some places.
- You watch people have fun.
- You go home smelling like food.
- There is a lot of sexist nature.
What I can tell you is that its a job that is forever changing and challenging. I would highly recommend going for it. If anything you will learn and understand what happens behind the scenes. If anything you will tip when you do get good service because you know what that is. If you work in hospo then please share/tell me your stories or reasons!! Would love to know!! Enjoy your Saturday night and be nice to your waiter.
This is my pre-valentines day gift to you ladies. Sorry that was a reminder. Ever so sorry. But love yourself. Sly tip for you.
Any way the title kinda ruined the magic of this blog post but hey, look you’re still here and reading. So go forth, and read my lovelies. If you are a boy and you are still here thats cool too, I will be doing a collaboration with my boyfriend very shortly and have 10 tips for you also. Yeeeeaah, I will have all the hacks. Will I become the ‘Hack-Queen’ I don’t know. But its 2015 so anything can happen.
So I live in what I would say is a fairly fast paced life. If I am truly honest I am rather lazy. Put those two things together and sometimes I look rather rough around the edges. I admit that. I really do envy the girls who look flawless 24/7. You all deserve some sort of crown. Now taking the equation of: needing to look flawless + not having enough time + being lazy = 10 Girl Hacks.
- Have chipped nail polish? Grab a glitter nail polish, gold is ideal and then dap a bit on the end of your nail and feather is out to an ombre finish. Finish with a top coat if you can be bothered.
- Eyelash extensions. These bad boys save you time. The first time my boyfriend called me beautiful I had eyelash extensions on. Word of warning though, do your research.
- Have a go to look for each season. It will save you looking and make your shopping more efficient. And your wardrobe won’t be such a lost place.
- If you treat yourself by getting your nails done but then also made the rookie mistake of not knowing what colour to get and the lady is now filing at a very slow pace to buy you some time. Grab a gold sparkle, nude or grey. Any of these three colour will work with any outfit.
- Carry around at all times; Chapstick, plasters, tampons, condom and Panadol. These are at any time a life saver. Its all about being smart. Never be caught out.
- Do take a multivitamin. Whether it be a woman’s daily one or something you need. I always take a multivitamin high in magnesium. You can thank me later.
- Wear a perfume everyday. You will then discover what it is like to have ‘a scent’. Mine is Summer by FCUK. But I love Coco Mademoiselle Chanel and Daisy by Marc Jacobs.
- Dry shampoo. Honestly saved me at RNV! It’s worthy of your money.
- Give yourself a face mask once a week. I am in love with Mask of Magnaminty by Lush. Will make your skin beautiful.
- Clean the wallet out. Not in terms of money but of all the things you don’t need in that bad boy. I am known for coffee cards, receipts from the bus and random lists. You will feel so much better the next time you use it.
So these are my ten girl hacks. I am sure once you have seen this I would of thought of a few more so I might do a 2.0 version. Try some of these and let me know how they go. From the girl who is just trying to keep up with another flawless beauties out there.